Sunday, October 29, 2006

Our Little Sweeties

After 9 years we finally have a grandchild close by. When our oldest son and his wife started their family 13 years ago I was in heaven. Their first daughter was born on my husband's 40th birthday. We were so excited, they were living about 30 miles from us which was close enough for them to come over for Sunday dinners and we could babysit if they wanted a night out. It took about a month for them to be willing to leave her overnight but their dad and I just loved having our grandchild in the house. I remember Kim nursed her and put her to bed and she slept until they came back the next morning. Seven months later our youngest daughter Abigail, was born and she and Deanna were almost like sisters. Then the next year they added Kaitlyn to their family and what fun we had with 3 little ones on weekends. I remember keeping the children and working in our garden and they kept eating the strawberries even before they were ripe. Those were the days indeed. Sometimes we even kept our friends children and would have as many as 4 extra little girls running around and, bath time was a hoot.
The next year #3 Lydia was born and she came over on week-ends too. My friends would say boy are you a gluton for punishment, and I would say "you know someday I may not get to live around my grandchildren and I want to keep them as much as I can now". Little did I know when Lydia was 9 months old God was going to move us to Florida and for two long years we did not see their family. Since then they have had 5 more little ones but we have not had the pleasure of living close by since August 1997.
This past August God gave my oldest daughter a precious little boy and it is fun having a baby around again. When my son's family traveled to Tennessee in Sept. what fun we had with 10 little ones in the same house. It reminded me when I was little and all the fun my 6 sisters and I had growning up.

2 comments:

Kaitlyn said...

Grandma,
I never ate any of your unripe strawberrys I just ate those "yummy, crunchy" rolly-pollys. But Deanna said that she remembers eating the strawberrys because you said not to.
:) :D
~Kaitlyn

Deanna said...

yeah those were the days (sigh)
me 'n' abber used to eatthe white and green strawberrys cause i figured that you wouldn't say don't eat them unless
they were extra extramuch too good for us good. :]